Wheelers Hill is a suburb in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 22 km south-east from Melbourne's central business district. Its Local Government Area is the City of Monash. At the 2006 Census, Wheelers Hill had a population of 21,029.
Wheelers Hill was almost certainly named after the Wheeler brothers, John and Bartholomew, who were early settlers in the area. The Wheelers Hill Hotel was a post office and stopping point for farmers before a 6 to 8 hour drive to the city by horse to sell their goods.
The Wheelers Mansion was destroyed by a fire in the late 1920s. The house was located somewhere to the south of the Wheelers Hill Library. The Post Office opened on 1 January 1869 but was called Mulgrave until 1888.
Wheelers Hill was the last suburb of the now Monash City Council to be linked up to the electricity grid. This is because, at the time, there was a dispute between the Shire of Mulgrave and the Council of Waverley on whose suburb it was. The main roads in Wheelers Hill were named after land owners and run along the boundaries of old orchards and farms.
In Columbia Park on Jells Road, there are steps, and a brick outline of
where a homestead once stood. This was a solid brick home reportedly
built for W.D. Robertson, a retired Melbourne baker. It had a tower
which gave a commanding view towards the Dandenong Ranges. During World
War II. The house was
occupied by a family named Jungwirth post-war and was in ruins by the
time V.F.L Park was built nearby
Wheelers Hill is home to Jells Park, a major recreational facility of over 127 hectares. It contains 9 km of cycle paths and walking tracks which surround a large lake. Wheelers Hill is known for its trees. Parklands make up 31% of the total area of Wheelers Hill.
Wheelers Hill Secondary College is located in the centre of the suburb.
This information was sourced from Wikipedia